Soon after admitted to the maternity ward, mothers are going through childbirth preparation procedure as follows :
- Examination and evaluation by a trained nurse
- Cardiotocography (CTG) to determine the health status of infants
- Enema – cleaning rectums
- Examination and evaluation by a physician to determine gestational age, baby’s position and opening of the uterus, the baby’s head position in the vaginal, if openings Os passed 3 cm, the doctor will break the membrane water and undergo assessment
Your pain relief options
Labour can be painful, so it’s important to learn about all the ways that you can relieve the pain. It’s also helpful for whoever is going to be with you during your labour to know about the different options, as well as how they can support you. Ask your midwife or doctor to explain what’s available so that you can decide what’s best for you.
- Self help
- Pethidine Injection
- Gas and air (Enthonox)
- Epidural Analgesia
Newborn procedure soon after birth
Soon after delivery, your baby will be cleaned by the midwife. Your baby will be placed under the care of the midwife/nurse in a nursery under supervision of the pediatrician on call.
According to the standard procedure of our hospital, your baby will be given the injection as the followings:
- Injection Vitamin K (soon after birth to prevent haemorrhagic disease of newborn)
- Injection Hepatitis B Immunization (1st dose)
- BCG Immunization
Once the neonatal procedure is completed, the baby will be given to you for breast feeding and skin to skin contact to promote bonding. For Muslim family, the baby father can perform ‘Azan’ or ‘Qamat’ to the baby.
Use of Alternative Medicine during pregnancy
If you are taking some alternative medicine during pregnancy with aim to hasten and ease the childbirth please notify that to Dr Sharifah or the midwives so that they can take some precautions and anticipatory measures. From our experience, some of the alternative medicine cause excessive bleeding after delivery and interference with mother ability to clot the blood.
Are you up to a special childbirth experience?
Do you have a special wish list or special plan on how you would like to make your childbirth a memorable and joyful event? If you haven’t got any the following are the wish list that you may want to adopt and we will make it come true for you.
The MY CHILDBIRTH WISH LIST* consist of :
- I wish to have my husband to accompany me during labour
- I wish to have epidural analgesia (extra cost apply)
- I wish for my husband to cut the umbilical cord of the baby upon delivery
- I wish a delayed cord clamping to get more blood goes to the baby
- I wish an immediate skin to skin contact with my baby upon delivery
- I wish to have a video recording or snap some photos (rules & reg. apply)
- I wish for cord blood banking
- I wish to bring and listen to my favourite music during labour
- I wish to have a video taken or snap some photo s at birth of my child
*Disclaimer: Rules & Regulation are applied